Welcome

Welcome to HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels. I played with Mattel Hot Wheels when I was a kid and began collecting them as an adult in 1996 shortly after leaving a 79 cent limited edition Treasure Hunt Passion on the pegs at KMart. That car is now worth $100! Several months later I found and bought three Treasure Hunts at Target. I was hooked.

I am interested in buying childhood collections of toy cars: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Corgi, Husky, Dinky and Topper Johnny Lightning; Slot cars from Cox, Aurora and Tyco AF/X; Plastic model kits from AMT, Monogram, MPC. Please contact me via my website link below.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

LEGO 6856 Catwoman Catcycle City Chase REVIEW

Although my blog focuses on Hot Wheels last year I posted about the then upcoming LEGO Superheroes series and the return of Batman in particular.  Having missed the previous series released for a short time around 2005 I was anxious to get the Batman minifig as originals command a premium on the aftermarket.

Holiday shopping December 2011 brought me to the mall and to my surprise there was a new LEGO store.  I was happy to see the colorful boxes from the new Super Heroes series on the shelves because they were slated for a January 2012 release.

I bought the Catwoman Catcycle City Chase set for the reasonable price of $12.99.  I had not bought a LEGO set for myself since the Technic's Speedway Bandit car in the early 90s.



Opening a box of LEGOs is not unlike opening a new box of Crayola Crayons.  The distinctive smell and feel of plastic LEGO pieces brings back fond childhood memories.

The first thing I did was open the two clear plastic parts bags and build the minifigs Batman first.  He looks great in 60s retro blue/gray coloring and is available in more contemporary black in other new kits.  The wings look great and are unique to this set but I wish they also included a cape.  Cool batarang weapon, too.

Catwoman looks purr-fectly sexy for a minifig.  Her whip would be more accurate in black but maybe they thought that was too intense for kids.

The Catcyle goes together nicely and exudes quality.  Rolls well on rubber tires and balances nicely by itself to stand without support.  I just realized from the photo that I forgot to install the gray kickstand.  Love the purple fairing.

Now that I've built the set I need to find a place to display it.  My desk is already overflowing with paperwork and Hot Wheels.  In the meantime it's back in the box.

My return to LEGO was lots of fun and this kit is highly recommended.  If I was eight years old again the play value would be exponentially greater.


For more information check out ZoomZoom's review at the wonderful Eurobricks website.

No comments: