Welcome

Welcome to HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels. I played with Mattel Hot Wheels when I was a kid and began collecting them as an adult in 1996 shortly after leaving a 79 cent limited edition Treasure Hunt Passion on the pegs at KMart. That car is now worth $100! Several months later I found and bought three Treasure Hunts at Target. I was hooked.

I am interested in buying childhood collections of toy cars: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Corgi, Husky, Dinky and Topper Johnny Lightning; Slot cars from Cox, Aurora and Tyco AF/X; Plastic model kits from AMT, Monogram, MPC. Please contact me via my website link below.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fire and Rain : the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the lost story of 1970

This fabulous book by David Browne is the story of four landmark albums of 1970, "tracing the musical, political, and cultural changes of the time"*.  I've read numerous books about The Beatles yet enjoyed many new details here.  And at least one each about Simon & Garfunkel and James Taylor. Yet I never knew Paul Simon taught music classes. 


Each of the subject artists released iconic albums in 1970:  Let It Be (as well as McCartney's self-titled solo album), Bridge Over Troubled Water, Sweet Baby James and Deja Vu.  Browne alternates between chapters about the artists then talks about the turmoils of the times such as campus riots (Kent State...).  By the time Let It Be was released The Beatles no longer existed.  I remember getting McCartney as a birthday gift that year.  CSN&Y barely existed long enough to release their first album before falling apart due to creative and personal conflicts.

If you like 70s classic rock you'll like this book.  Buy it or check it out from your local library.


-*Library Journal Review

No comments: