Welcome

Welcome to HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels. I played with Mattel Hot Wheels when I was a kid and began collecting them as an adult in 1996 shortly after leaving a 79 cent limited edition Treasure Hunt Passion on the pegs at KMart. That car is now worth $100! Several months later I found and bought three Treasure Hunts at Target. I was hooked.

I am interested in buying childhood collections of toy cars: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Corgi, Husky, Dinky and Topper Johnny Lightning; Slot cars from Cox, Aurora and Tyco AF/X; Plastic model kits from AMT, Monogram, MPC. Please contact me via my website link below.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hot Wheels Beach Bomb


One of my favorite castings is the Volkswagen Beach Bomb released by Mattel in 1969.  It's one of the most popular and desirable cars from the redline era.  A customized VW Van it comes complete with hippy-style flower power decals packed under the cardboard that the car sits on. 

There are orange and yellow surfboards on either side in bodyside extensions that were designed to allow the car to be used in some of the track sets of the day; prototypes without them were too narrow and didn't race well. 

Finding Beach Bombs still in blister pack is particularly tough.

No comments: