Welcome

Welcome to HTBomb's Magical Hot Wheels. I played with Mattel Hot Wheels when I was a kid and began collecting them as an adult in 1996 shortly after leaving a 79 cent limited edition Treasure Hunt Passion on the pegs at KMart. That car is now worth $100! Several months later I found and bought three Treasure Hunts at Target. I was hooked.

I am interested in buying childhood collections of toy cars: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Corgi, Husky, Dinky and Topper Johnny Lightning; Slot cars from Cox, Aurora and Tyco AF/X; Plastic model kits from AMT, Monogram, MPC. Please contact me via my website link below.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hot Wheels '55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser

Introducing Mattel Hot Wheels Chevy Gasser new for 2013 from the HW Showroom series.



Gassers were a part of the early drag racing movement that began during the mid-1950s and continued all the way through the late-1960s. They paved the way for faster cars like the altered wheelbase A/FX (or “Altereds”) and funny cars.

The Hot Wheels gasser has authentic primer gray paint and hand-letter style graphics.  My only issue is it leans a bit too much to the rear so much so that it looks like it's lifting off the starting line.



The concept was to simply provide as much weight transfer over the rear wheels as possible to provide the best traction.  Tall tire was the name of the game with gassers, so radiused rear wheelwells were par for the course, as were fenderwell headers and weight-saving punch holes found across the front suspension and frame.



I think you'll agree that the gasser look is quite sexy. And Mattel captured the overall aesthetic quite nicely.




No comments: